Pride is bad.
I know that so you don't have to tell me.
But I'm proud of my garden. Full of pride. I don't think we've ever had a more beautiful garden.
Want to see?
Our repurposed, homemade-ugly grow tunnel. We used the netting and the legs from a defunct trampoline to build a 4-seasons garden. The netting creates just enough shade that the lettuce and leafy greens aren't bolting straightaway. This fall, we'll remove the netting and add some plastic, greenhouse-y type panels to keep spinach and kale growing through the winter. There's more in the works for the old trampoline...please stay tuned.
Pepper plants we grew from seed...and a baby pepper.
Rows upon rows of white half-runner green beans and the cornfield in the back.
Tiny tomatoes.
"The Gauntlet"
The rear of our property with taters (sweet and white) on the left and fruit (berries and rhubarb) on the right. The blackberries in the foreground are thornless, but the black raspberries in the back, you can't walk past them without getting bitten.
Cabbage glistening with dew.
Flowering butternut squash.
"The Carousel"
I don't know what this thing is called, but our experiment in trellising cukes and runner beans is going well.
One of many onion patches. Anywhere that I could find a few empty feet of garden, I planted onions.
The carrot patch in the new raised bed. They're doing exceedingly well and Mara is already begging for carrot pickles!
Blackberries beginning to ripen. Through what can only be described as a God-thing, we have ripe berries for a solid 5-6 months each year, starting with Serviceberries in May, and ending with the last of the yellow raspberries in late September or early October.
So, the pictures don't do the yard and garden justice. It's just plain beautiful this year. Green despite the lack of rain. The weeds are under control. Not too many bug/vermin problems, thank you God. This season is a good season.
The Mr. and I sat outside and watched the sun set over the cornfield last night and it was nothing short of breath-taking. The garden and berry bushes were shadowed against the orange-pink sky and it was so quiet, with only the twitter of birds and the occasional diesel farm truck driving by.
Now I KNOW why they called this place Pleasant Township.
There isn't a more beautiful spot in the world.
5 comments:
I didn't think that box cover was ugly! How great to have it place and working for you! You're garden is waaaaay ahead of mine! Enjoy!
Well done! Looking absolutely fantastic, and you have such great variety.
I'm "green" with envy ;-)
you should be proud. That is a good lookin' garden!
That is a great looking garden, and I love how you used parts of other things in your garden, I can't wait to see more of how its going to be used in the future..
Oh, your cabbage looks wonderful, and boy do you keep up on the weeding, I am always behind, thank goodness for the ability to lay mulch down to surpress weeds..
Very well done! That is an absolutely fantastic idea.
BTW, those lush green rows of garden crops are a wonderful sight for these dry, hot eyes from Oklahoma! We are about to be completely fried out here with no significant rain in many weeks and 100+ temps for the last 30 days... Even watering the garden several hours every night isn't appearing to help much.
Post a Comment