Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homegrown Meals On A Crazy-Hot Day

It is just stinking hot in Ohio today with the various weathermen predicting 98-99 degrees, depending on your location and which weatherman you trust.  I know for some areas that's pretty normal, but for Ohio, that's about as hot as it can possibly get.  Factor in 95% humidity and pretty much no wind, and it just stinks.  And from what I understand, it's even worse in the urban areas, with heat indexes topping 110 degrees.  I'm so thankful to live in the county, away from all that hot concrete.  And I'm thankful for A/C, a 4ft pool and a freezer that I can stick my head into if necessary.

So today, I'm not cooking. 

Not inside anyway.

Dinner tonight will be cooked packet-style on the grill.  I'm combining carrots, onions, garlic, new potatoes and rosemary from the garden with some filleted boneless-skinless chicken, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Throw in an ice cube to create steam then wrap them up in foil and toss them on the grill for 15 minutes or so and there's a full meal for ya. The kids are happy, well-fed and the house stays cool too.

What kind of meals do you prepare on crazy-hot days like today?

No comments: