Monday, July 18, 2011

Fermenting For Mom

Well, my mom is 1/4 way through the first portion of her chemo and so far, things are going well.  No reactions, no nausea.  She seems pretty fatigued, but is getting enough rest that it's manageable.  Her hair is starting to fall out, so I gave her a really short cut last night and she looks remarkably like Jamie Lee Curtis.  Bet you didn't know my mama is so cute, eh?

My biggest concern right now is her immune system.  She's been sick for a solid 2 weeks with a cold she just can't seem to kick, despite 2 courses of antibiotics.  So my mission is to give her immune system a shot in the arm and it would appear lacto-fermentation is the right direction.  And Sunday night, she agreed to eat any sort of fermented food that I bring over.  MWAH-HA-HA!!!  She may live to regret those words :) 

Everything I've read about lacto-fermented foods suggests that they really do a lot for the immune system.  They're full of probiotics and good bacteria that build up the good stuff and control the bad stuff.  I already make homemade yogurt but I'd like to branch out and try my hand at other fermented dairy products as well as fermented veggies. 

I've heard kefir is good, but it's a mysterious product I know little about and have had even less luck with in the past.  I tried a kefir powder from Leeners, my go-to store for all things DIY, but the results were sort of 'meh'.  I really didn't see what the big to-do was.  I'm convinced that I need to try the live, tapioca-looking cultures instead of the powder to achieve good results.  Can anyone recommend a dependable source for kefir cultures?

Beyond the kefir, I want to try fermenting fresh veggies.  You know, something other than sauerkraut.  Kraut is okay, but I'd like to try some root veggies to get a real punch of nutrition in addition to the good bacteria.  Maybe a nice spicy kimchi type dish with cabbage, carrots, peppers and onions?  Or maybe some radishes?  I think I saw a recipe for fermented radishes somewhere.  And we all love pickled beans.  At this point, I'm up for anything and the fresh produce coming in from the garden makes the experimenting all the more interesting.

Care to share your fermentation thoughts?   

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm no fermenting expert, mind you... I'm learning myself, but here's a few things I've been reading.

Dairy Kefir has 5 x the probiotics of yogurt, so that's what the hoopla is all about. I have been working to get my grains going well and it's been a struggle. If you could find someone who would share some, that would be best. I suggest you email Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS and tell her why you need them and see if she knows someone. You need them NOW, otherwise I'd recommend Cultures of Health products. I've been very pleased with everything I've ordered (there's a link on my site), with the exception of the Kefir grains being difficult to rehydrate - and I confess, it may have been my fault, not the grains.

Also, tell your mom to avoid sugar like the plague. Sugar and things that turn to sugar in your body will work against your own immune system. Several doctors I know have told me this, so I think it's reliable info.

Hope this info helps and I'll be praying today that your mom's cold is gone quickly!

Farmgal said...

Hi Andrea

I don't have any real advice on the fermenting, I do cabbage as my main one, I have tried others but have never been that pleased with the results, they are ok, but not great.

So all I can say is I am sending best wishes and prayers that the right peices will fall into place on this, and you will find the idea's or sources you need to be able to help your mom..