Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Disconnect

Country Girl at Heart just did a post about our disconnect from the food supply...and it made me think about an email a friend sent to me last week. 

 From a SanFran newspaper:


You know, I've made some mistakes in my parenting from time to time, but my kids are pretty well adjusted.  They know where their food comes from and that in order to have meatballs, a cow had to die.  Or a chicken.  Pig.  Deer.  Whatever.  We protect them from the gory details, but they know where that meat came from. And as a result, they know we don't waste that meat.  

I'm sure this individual was just trying to make a point about what he/she perceives as cute wildlife.  Because, you know, deer are graceful and intelligent and harmless and become twitterpated. 

I blame Disney.  

Yes please, buy your meat from a grocery where no animals were harmed.  And when you're done there, find a watermelon tree and pick a nice juicy melon for dessert.  But be careful...you don't want to be under the tree when those watermelons ripen. 

7 comments:

Farmgal said...

OHG, really, someone wrote that in.. I am open mouthed doing the ahhhh. WOW.. its scary to me just how much of the population does not have a clue about their food.

Thats just so scary!

Unknown said...

And these people are voting for our national leaders? Seriously, this is beyond sanity. I don't even have words...

suek said...

Don't laugh...

Apparently California is considering passing a law that will make it illegal to hunt or fish for food.

I'll try and find a link in case you don't believe me - I'm not sure _I_ believe me!

suek said...

Found it. First read the article - just to get your blood up and pounding...

http://bobmccarty.com/2011/06/27/animal-rights-activism-fuels-usda-rabbit-chase/

Then read the comments - and the reference to new laws in California is in comment #12 by "Thumping Bunny"...

I confess I haven't verified that the laws are presently being considered - we _are_ talking about Calfornia, after all - but I have no doubt that with the Dems in control, and Brown at the helm, it'll probably be passed.

Hmmm. Wonder if we will be able to get them to come down hard on some homeless people or some illegals out there...!

Andrea said...

Farmgal...yeah...that was my reaction too. Scary.

Amy...not only are they voting, but they're driving cars and reproducing.

Suek...it doesn't surprise me. We live in a society that places more value on animals and the environment than the actual human beings who live in said environment.

Stacy said...

That is really scary...

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

This completely cracked me up! I think maybe they need to eat a bit more WHOLESOME protein from sources other than the grocery store they shop at cause it seems their brain-cells are on the fritz. This was too funny! I am a new reader and have enjoyed your posts! I'm adding you to my list of favorite neighbors!