Thursday, April 21, 2011

$6/Gal Gas???

As I watched the early show this morning, the anchor did the obligatory "stocks are up, all is good with the world" segment, followed by something that really shocked me.  Apparently the dollar index is at a 3 year low and some experts are expecting $6/gal gas by summertime. 

I was speechless.

I'd heard suggestions that $5/gal was right around the corner, and felt begrudgingly resigned to paying that price.  Now hearing expectations of $6 gas, I long for the days of $5 gas! 

Maybe that's how this ploy works? 

Step 1.  Introduce a bad idea.

Step 2.  Introduce a WORSE idea.

Step 3.  Suddenly idea #1 isn't so bad.

So, looking at $5-6/gal gas, we'll be living much closer to home this summer.  We'll be cutting out trips to town, with the exception of a weekly/biweekly grocery run.  Vacation might be a very local trip, maybe to the cave system, Air Force museum or the aquarium in Cincinnati.  I'd like to take the kids to the coast, to see where their Mama lived and where their uncle was born and where all the pirates hung out....but that will have to wait.

I'm thinking that this summer is going to be a crucial summer; a make it or break it year for the middle class. With prices on the rise across the board, something has to give.  My hope is that this is the year people begin to garden again.  And can.  And dehydrate.  And cook from scratch.  And trade in fancy vacations for backyard picnics.  And maybe, just maybe, be happy with what they have, like a little house and a paid-off car.

A girl can dream, right?        

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not entirely surprised. I expect gas to be $3/litre in Canada by next year. Right now we're at $1.30+/litre, which puts us just over $5/US gallon. It wasn't too long ago that my husband and I were saying "If gas goes over $1.10/litre, the car is for essentials only." Now we're adjusting to $1.40/litre and planning on getting rid of the car.

Andrea said...

There's only so much we can give up, living where we do. I think biweekly grocery trips would help immensely. And the Mr. has talked about picking up a motorcycle instead of driving the SUV to work each day. I have a feeling I'm going to be immensely thankful for our food stores this summer/winter.

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

My husband and I have talked getting him one of those motorized scooters to get to work, the kind you can ride on the road. It would save a TON of money on gas for sure. We're seeing more and more people riding them.

True Texan said...

Yep, definitley a feeling of urgency around here...praying for a good harvest in my garden. We need rain desperately in Texas.

KJ said...

Having trouble posting a comment on some blogs but this one looks good to go :)

I also hope people start gardening adn stuff, I know people who are struggling and won't really do anything to help themselves much. Too much work or why should they?

We are up to $1.47 a litre, I think roughly nearly 4 litres per gallon. We are limiting our trips to town to when we have to and doing everything while we are there. We all still live with it, complain a bit and buy petrol anyway :D

Andrea said...

TT-I'd love to share some rain with you! Tuesday night (just Tuesday night) we had more than 3 inches. It's rained pretty much everyday here for the past 10 days.

KJ- I know folks like that too. Some refuse to help themselves because it's too much work...others don't know HOW. My generation is so out of the loop it doesn't know how to bend down, scratch the earth and plant a seed. Woe to the GenXers.

Cindy said...

Some people are not going to be able to afford to drive to work! Some people drive quite a ways for a minimum wage job or for a short shift. It will cost more than they make just to drive to work. I drive 30 miles each way for work, but since I'm a teacher, I will be able to stay home when summer gets here. That always helps with the gas consumption! I will be planting a garden this year and canning and using my new dehydrator, too!