Thursday, March 3, 2011

Preparing To Share

I'm so excited.

Today is the first meeting of the season for the 'Growing In The Son' garden project at church. 

Yay!

Last year was our first year working on the project and oy was it a tough year.  I'm thinking we went for a month or better without rain and had issues with deer and other vermin, but we still managed to grow several hundred pounds of food for the Second Harvest pantry and Outreach center as well as the elderly and low income in our community. 

The biggest issue we ran into last year was food distribution. 

Second Harvest could use very little of what we grew.  They simply didn't have the time and labor available to clean, string, core, dice, cook the food we grew.  They needed food ready to be eaten to best serve their clientele. 

The Outreach center could use very little of what we grew.  They deal with families who are desperate, who are homeless or living in shelters/hotels, who often don't have access to a kitchen or the utilities to cook fresh produce.  They scarfed up the tomatoes and peppers because the tomatoes and peppers could be eaten raw, but had little use for corn or green beans.

While the elderly knew what to do with fresh beans and corn, many of the younger families had no idea how to prepare fresh veggies.  They had kitchens, they had utilities;  they didn't have the knowledge of what to do with a pound of green beans or a bag full of corn on the cob.  It was a sad reflection on the state of our culture as well as a huge waste of food. 

This year, we're going to try a different route. 

Upon doing some research, I learned that the greatest time of need for underprivileged families is in summertime; when there are no free breakfasts or lunches for school children; when we don't feel the Christmastime tugs at our heart to donate food to various charities. 

I learned that in my community, 30% of the children are living at or under poverty level.  30%!!!  That astounds me.  1 in 3 children.  Doesn't that amaze you?

And I also learned the the majority of the people coming in to the local pantries and soup kitchens are children.  It's not homeless, drug-addicted alcoholics.  It's families with young children.  And last year, according to the information at Feedingamerica.org, need was way, way up and donations were way, way down. 

You can see what's driving me.

Children in my community are going without. 

And 30 years ago, I was one of those kids. 

My mom worked her fingers to the bone to provide for us, with no support from my deadbeat dad.  We lived at poverty level, with barely enough cash flow to make it month by month, but we never went hungry.  Never.  And it's because we had knowledge to garden and preserve that food.  What a blessing!

This year, I'm going to pitch the idea that we adopt local families for the season. 

We can't do much about homelessness. 

We can't do much about families living in shelters or hotels. 

We CAN feed families on the brink; the ones who have to choose between fresh food and paying the electric bill; those who have to choose between food and rent. 

And possibly, by dealing with these families directly on a weekly basis, we'll be able to establish a relationship and teach them what to do with those fresh veggies. 

And possibly, through involvement with our community garden, we may be able to teach these young families how to grow their own food in their own garden. 

And possibly, if we can get the children involved, we can stop the cycle of hunger through knowledge.  It's that whole 'give a man a fish, teach a man to fish' thing.  Maybe we can teach these children to "fish"?

And possibly, hopefully, through this project, eyes, minds and hearts may be opened to Christ.  Or as my dear pastor put it: "someone is going to be saved because of this garden!" 

There's a good deal of hope hanging on this garden project.     

6 comments:

Bitsy said...

That's a wonderful project! I wish there was something similar where I live.

Grim said...

What an awesome idea Andrea!

Andrea said...

Ya know Grim, you'd be more than welcome if you'd like to garden with me ;) Getting volunteers lined up has proven to be one of the more difficult parts of the project.

chinasyndrome said...

Andrea,you give me hope for this world yet!

China
III

farmgal said...

Wow, That is just wonderful, please keep sending reports on how this all goes.

I have run into some of the same issues, when I was younger, I grew extra for the food bank and they didn't want it as it was not cut, trimmed and bagged into 3 pd lots?

I donated it to the church for their annual fall stew suppers.

Then I joined a group that was grow a row, and again had issues when it came time for pick up, and they were got to much at the same time, and I was unhappy to hear that a fair amount of food went to waste.

Two years ago locally, I finally found a program that I really like, I grow extra food all season long and I am paired with a elderly couple who is on limited income. I am allowed to give them extra's fresh eggs, and some meat (as only my lamb/kid/Pork, goes to the provincal approved butcher, I do all my own smaller critters and so that meat can only be used on the farm for us).

It was so nice to know that twice a month, my box of fresh veggies/eggs and meat, I have often wondered what they do in winter but the program only runs spring/summer/fall, and I am not allowed to know the peaple in person, but they can write thank you notes that they pass on to me.

I really like your ideas, I think it would be great to be able to connect directly with peaple.

I will look again to see if there is anything locally for families with children in need.

suek said...

Off topic, but I found this link and thought of an earlier post you had about your little girl. Could be one of those funny connections - in my mind only - but if it's of interest to you, you can tuck it away for use when appropriate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-cross-stitch-Sampler-needlework-Alphabet-design-/380320138744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588cd8c5f8