I'm sure that if you homestead, you're very aware of the cease and desist letters in circulation 'round the gardening world. If you don't know what's going on, I refuse to link to the family in question...but this link should get you started. You can go from there.
The arrogance on the part of the Dervaes family sickens me.
I'm done with them.
But I love the grassroot efforts of plain old homesteaders to take back what is theirs. Urban homesteading is a lifestyle that's been practiced for ages untold, not the brainchild of one individual so puffed up with self-importance that he's managed to destroy the support of his community as well as global goodwill in one fell swoop.
Way to go there, Lightning.
So, while I'm only a Rural Homesteader, I want to support the rights of my Urban Homesteading brothers and sisters to do what they've been doing for years on end. This is my attempt to show solidarity with those caught in the crossfire.
My thoughts are with you.
Keep on keeping on.
8 comments:
Wow. That's too bad that they feel a need to do that. I purposely trademarked my blog name because I didn't want some "corporation" coming onto the scene later and try to tell me I couldn't use that phrase. So I did it as a preventative / preservation measure, but I have a hard time imagining attacking someone else for using it. If you're really good, you don't need to be exclusive - others will recognize quality journalism or blogging or urban homesteading, etc. Like the old saying goes, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery!". I have a feeling that their rush to be "exclusive" with the term will come back to bite them.
I agree with you. I think this is a power grab and only serves to feed this family's ego. What a huge disappointment. They've certainly lost my support.
This sickens me. What's next? Crazyness - thanks for letting me know aobut this. I did not get a letter. I locked myself out of my yahoo account so can't get any maiil from there.
LOL....I'm so sorry you locked yourself out of your email. I needed that laugh!
Yeah, it's disgusting. For a family that was seemingly all about community and building ties, boy, they sure burned bridges this time.
This article surprised me:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5776991/The-Dervaeses-of-Pasadena-poster-family-for-greener-living.html
At least we know what their end goal is now.
Yes!...my favorite part is where the daughter states that urban homesteading is their intellectual property. My husband fully believes it is so that Mr. Dervaes can call himself the "Father of the Urban Homesteading Movement", which is what he stated in one of his articles. Absolutely asinine.
This saddens me more then outrages me. They have become a type of the very thing they preach against. They properly called for a "revolution" in the way we consume and set an example of the new frugality as a way to turn this country around. Now, through copyright, they are trying to harness that "freedom idea" for profit.
Fame ruins people; it makes them whacko!
I'm 54 years old and I was raised homesteading ... and became an urban Homesteader in 1974 when I married my citified country boy.
Not sure - but I think MY TIMELINE and USAGE of the language being bickered about by the CA whackos precedes their rights :-)
I don't think they have a case and I seriously doubt their argument will be upheld in the Courts. MPO
Insanity truly is becoming more prevalent! Amazing!
Maybe there are terms I can decide to steal and try to copyright...... Oh, but wait... I wouldn't stoop that low!
Thanks for the heads up, Andrea!
Post a Comment