Friday, February 18, 2011

No Weigh

There's not going to be a Lose The Fluff update today.

I'm having scale issues.

Really.

I have an inexpensive set of digital scales and I've always sort of questioned their accuracy, but yesterday's weigh-in validated my suspicions.  Those scales are crappy.  In 3 attempted weighings, I ended up with 3 different weights over a range of 7 pounds. 

Yeah.  That's a big range.

The first attempt showed that I had lost 5 pounds.  Once I realized that was impossible and wept over the inaccuracy, I weighed again and came up + 2 pounds.  One more time showed a loss of about .6.  I think it's fair to say that it's time to replace my scales.  What makes me nervous is if I replace the scales, I'm afraid of what a set of accurate scales may say.  Like all this time that I've been thinking I've lost 10+ pounds only to find out that I've only lost 3 or something.  Talk about demoralizing.  I know it won't be that bad and that I have to be honest with myself about my weight loss, but I'm nervous yet.

On the plus side, my husband noticed a difference in me this week, having said something to the effect that there was a lot less of me around the middle.  There's a real difference in the fluffage around my midsection and the difference is obvious when I put on my favorite jeans.  They're droopy and hang on my hips : )  Just a few more weeks of counting points and muching on carrot sticks and I should be close to my goal. 

How awesome is that?

        

5 comments:

farmgal said...

Bad Scales, hope you are able to find a nice new set and congrats on getting such a nice comment from your hubby. Have a great weekend!

Andrea said...

Thanks Farmgal. The nice comment from my husband makes up for the bad scales. I replaced the batteries thinking maybe the batteries were just on the brink...but no, I think it's time to replace the scale.

suek said...

When you replace those scales, disregard any weight comparisons. They're only valid on the same accurate scale. So if your present scale says you started at 120 lbs, your new scale - if you had had it - might have said you were at 130...or 110. You can't compare the losses, even. You're basically wherever you are when you start. You _might_ get some idea if you have something fairly large (other than yourself) and weighed it, and then weighed it on the new scale - or not. Hard to say. Something immobile may give better results, though. You can affect your weight by where you place yourself on the scale and where you concentrate your weight. Try it - stand on the scale, and without moving your feet, shift your weight back on your heels or lean forward with the weight mostly on your toes. I'd bet it will show different weights.

Although I could be wrong!

Still - _don't_ use whatever weight your old scale says and beat yourself. You're on Day 1 all over again when you get your new scale!

True Texan said...

Congratulations for less of you in the middle! I am battling my fluff too. I'm sure baking cookies this week didn't help my cause! :)

Bitsy said...

Sweet! It's awesome that you're close to your goal!! I really need to get myself in gear when it comes to dropping the baby weight. You're inspiring me!