Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lessons From The Egyptian Riots

I'm sure you've been watching the news and listening to radio and reading the paper.  You KNOW what's going in the world today.  Riots.  Government upheaval.  Food shortages.  In one corner of the world, the poo has hit the fan.

You know what?

I can totally see that sort of thing happening here:

-As we continue to lose our homes, our jobs, our nest eggs-

-As we watch food prices go up and wages go down-

-As we watch our rights slowly eroded, day after day-

I can see our nation reaching a snapping point, like a giant rubber band stretched just a little too far.  One second things are good, the next you've got a huge welt on the back of your hand.

While I hate to see the troubles in Egypt, there are some important takeaways for all of us in the prepping community and I think we honor those calling for liberty by learning what we can from their experiences.  So what can we learn from the Egyptian riots? 

-Big government is not your friend.  Sure, they'll pay out entitlements and keep your food supply safe (ahem), but if they feel threatened, out come the Commandos with tear gas and water cannons.

-Communications will be the first thing to go.  Did you see how quickly and easily Internet and other means of communication were turned off last week?  Just a flip of the switch, baby.  Consider alternate means of communications and have a plan in place should internet and communications be shut down. 

-Wherever riots go, looting follows.  I've never understood why people destroy their own homes, businesses, cultural treasures, but it happens every time.  Don't be surprised by it.   

-Police are reactive, not proactive.  I don't mean this to be a slap in the face or a dig on law enforcement, but it's a fact of modern life.   Don't expect the law to protect you.  Police are there to draw a chalk-line around your body...or in Egypt's case, to reattach the mummy's head to the rest of it's body.  Be prepared to protect yourself.

-Gouging and shortages WILL happen in a crisis.  Call it supply and demand or survival of the fittest or whatever you will.  Have food, water, gas, currency and other necessities stored aplenty.

-The world you wake up to tomorrow may be very different than today.  Be prepared for this life and the next

-And as Ole Remus would say, stay away from crowds. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said, Andrea. First France, Greece, Egypt... are we so prideful, thinking we're so sophisticated that it can't happen here? Ha. I have no doubts that we're just a breath away from such things. Thankfully, I have peace that God is in control, but He tells us in scripture to be wise and look to the ant!

Chief Instructor said...

I have no doubts that we will eventually have similar civil unrest, for the same reasons, here in the states. When the hand-outs stop being delivered, it's gonna hit the fan, big-time.

It's going to be interesting here in Ca over the next few months. Governor "Moon Beam" Brown is actually talking kind of tough about really having to cut the budget.

The Gravy Train might actually be coming to a full and complete stop. Well, maybe just miss a couple of stations.

I still think Obama & Company will eventually float all of the states some sort of loan or bailout to try and keep a lid on things, but who know?

In a related note, my gun training classes for the entire month are almost sold out already...

Andrea said...

I'm with you Amy. I keep telling myself that not only does God raise up good kings, He also brings down bad ones. Maybe that's why I'm not afraid of what the future holds?

CI-I read on your blog that your classes were booked solid...WOW! THanks for the great input from sunny CA.