Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Homespun Holidays
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
It's hard to believe the holidays are right around the corner. Just think; Thanksgiving is only a week or so away, followed by Black Friday and the inevitable countdown to Christmas with all the usual trappings: debt, headache, tangled lights, upset stomach, crowds, paper cuts, indigestion and an 5 extra pounds around the middle!
Sure doesn't sound like what God had in mind, does it?
The past couple of years, we've taken a new approach to the holidays: more experiences, less stuff. We cut back on spending, cut back on shopping, cut back on wrapping, trimming, decorating, packaging, shipping and the general nonsense that's associated with a secular Christmas.
Instead, we've spent more time enjoying the holidays. Baking. Cooking. Visiting. Making homemade gifts. Attending church plays and candlelight services. Donating to the needy. Drilling wells in Africa. Last year, I felt like we gave Jesus a gift. It was awesome!
This year, we're continuing that tradition. More homemade happiness. Less secular insanity. Last year, we gave homemade limoncello and stout cakes. This year, apricot brandy and lovingly packaged goat milk soap.
What are your plans for making this year a more meaningful holiday season?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Over the years we have cut WAY back in WHO we give gifts to. And now that we are down to just a few close family members and friends, we are focusing on gifts that are handmade in some way and the parents are getting photographs/albums. To our very good friends, I am forcing narcissus bulbs this year. (In years past we made our family recipe of Sweet and Spicy Mustard, Lemon Curd, or Granola and Pancake Mix with some of our farm fresh eggs).
The focus of our time is going toward making soft fuzzy blankets children in a homeless shelter, working at the Operation Christmas Child Collection Center and again at the Distribution Center, and ringing the bell for the Salvation Army.
We did not get to this place over night!!!! I want to stress that!! We added or changed only one or two things a year. But what a blessings!!! I new I had changed our family tree when my 8 year old composed a song all on her own about the meaning of Christmas that mentioned the error of materialism and the how the focus should be on Christ! I nearly cried all evening with joy!! They GET IT!!! That has been MY Christmas blessing this year.
Love the goat soap:) They look BEAUTIFUL!!!! Sounds like how we celebrate around here....we teach the kids that Christmas in not our birthday.
We did homemade vanilla with organic vanilla beans, and vanilla sugar last year, and I had planned on growing Luffa's for everyone this year, but nature had other plans....lol we only ended up with 2!
So it is honey this year:)
I LIKE it, I LOVE it! I am with you. The headaches that most people suffer from the holidays is insane. We love the simple and memories. I have lovely memories as a girl, going to the homes of our neighbors, we lived in a small close-knit neighborhood, and giving a plate of cookies. We would sing a few carols and quote the Luke 2 story. We are establish some simple memorable traditions in our family as well.
My husband went to work about three months ago ...after 16 months of unemployment. We cut back on everything when he first became unemployed. But after six months of unemployment and no job in sight, we cut way back ...I mean WAY back ...on literally everything. We are grateful that he is working now, but we aren't going to change our habits. We survived the lean months and I'm sure we are spiritually stronger for the experience.
Last year, we only bought token gifts for the two grandchildren. This year, we have been blessed with a third grandchild and we've bought small gifts for each of them. Their gifts will be mailed to their homes with a box of home-baked goodies from Grandma's kitchen. For the few friends and relatives that are close by, we've made up baskets that include baked goods, and soap kits in a jar (recipe for homemade laundry soap) and some canned goods we put up this year. The baskets were ones I already had and we won't spend more than $10 each filling them up. Every item is something the intended recipients have expressed an interest in and I think they will all be well-received.
We are so grateful to be able to dispense with the materialism that has slowly taken over the holidays for the past several decades. I hope my grandchildren will carry on the tradition.
Ladies, I love the great gift and holiday ideas! It amazes me how creative we get when we think outside the boxes!
Jenny...I neglected to consider the fact that people I'd be giving homemade gifts to might actually be reading my blog LOL.
Post a Comment