Dog pressure.
Everyone in the house wants a dog. Jeff is crazy about dogs. So are both kids. Me...I can take them or leave them. So 5 years ago, in an effort to ward off the inevitable dog conversation, I came up with a repertoire of very useful reasons and valid excuses for why we shouldn't have a dog right now.
-Maybe when the kids are potty-trained and there's less cleaning up to do.
-Maybe when the kids are bigger and I don't have to worry about them getting hurt.

-Maybe when the kids are old enough to help out with grooming, feeding.
-Maybe if I feel like we need protection/companionship.
Sadly, my excuses are no longer working. The kids ARE potty-trained. The kids ARE bigger and they ARE getting old enough to help out with a dog. So, much to my dismay, dog negotiations are underway. I'm in absolutely no hurry to get a dog, so negotiations are working in my favor at this point.*I want a medium-to-largish dog. No little lap dog that pees itself when you approach it.
*I want a working dog. A herder, a hunter, a protector, something that can earn its keep or at the very least, make an intruder think twice.
*I want a working dog. A herder, a hunter, a protector, something that can earn its keep or at the very least, make an intruder think twice.
*I want a slightly-older dog. Puppies are cute, but I'd like something just a little older, 6-8 months or maybe even older so we're past the smelly puppy breath and those razor-sharp puppy teeth.
*I want a doggy-door that passes into a kennel in the garage. I'm not thrilled with the idea of having a dog in the house; less thrilled with leaving it in the house while I'm gone and having to rush home so it doesn't pee on my carpet.
So, there you go: a list of my demands; very reasonable demands if I may say so. Included are some pictures of dogs that suit my requirements, according to the Animal Planet Dog Breed Selector.
So, there you go: a list of my demands; very reasonable demands if I may say so. Included are some pictures of dogs that suit my requirements, according to the Animal Planet Dog Breed Selector.What say you?



8 comments:
We have 2 dogs. Boston terriers. Good luck with the dog hunting. We used to have a Rotweiller, then we seen these. they are not lap dogs. They have alot of energy. Ours perfer to be outside unless its too cold or too hot. They love kids and are very loving. Our male takes care of the kids, if they fall down outside he sits beside them till they get up. makes me feel if they were really hurt he would stay with them. Our female plays, she catches the footballs and tugs them in the snow sled.
Good luck with finding the perfect dog for your family. Labs are good dogs for kids and helping hunt.
We had a Rotweiller until last summer(she was very ill), and she did exactly what Jan said. She was a protector and great with even the boys as infants and toddlers. Subtle, protective manners, and she was SOOOOOOOOO loving. The boys climbed all over her. When someone she didn't know would come to the house, she would position herself between the kids and the new person until she saw that we were ok with whomever was there. Miss her bunches.
Based just on looks, I like number one!
It's a big decision, a lifetime commitment (for the dog), so I think making a list of what you want/expect is an excellent start. After you settle on what breed, you may want to consider contacting some of the breed rescue organizations ...since you said you would prefer a dog past the puppy stage.
I have always liked Rhodesian Ridgebacks (first dog picture). They are excellent family dogs, protective, mild mannered, trainable ...but tend to be large ...80 pounds and up. But we are on our second Boxer now and will probably never own anything else. Our Boxer is attentive, protective, easily housebroken and stands guard over our chickens all day. At 60 pounds, she's big enough to be intimidating to strangers but is a pussy cat with our grandchildren. She's part of the family.
Thanks for the suggestions, gals. My inlaws used to have a Rott-German Doberman mix and he was a great dog. Whined for ice cream LOL.
We had a Great Dane/Lab mix when we got married and he was the best dog....and the size was the only drawback. When Boone laid around the house, he REALLY laid around the house! We've already looked at a number of large breed rescues in our area, but I'm not ready to commit yet.
The negotiations continue.
I love my little dog and don't think I will ever be without one for very long. Our dog will be 9 in Apr. Take your time and look around and ask people about where they got there dog from. And good luck with the dog hunting. Im sure you will find the right fit for you and your family.
Labs - 'nuff said.
Post a Comment