How do you even begin to discuss layoffs in today's environment? It's a common, everyday occurrence in this, our Great Recession, so our story is no different than a myriad of others and yet I feel a bit hypocritical discussing it as it hasn't happened yet.
The Mister's company informed his union that they'd be laying off 60% of the workforce on October 1st, pending the outcome of contract talks. Nothing is definite, but I have a knot in the pit of my stomach that says it's going to be ugly, one way or the other. If contract talks go smoothly, we're looking at the possibility of wage cuts and increased insurance expenses. If things don't go smoothly, we're looking at indefinite layoffs with few job prospects available in our area.
Chuck, I'll take what's behind Door Number 3.
Despite this morning's swift punch to the gut due to layoff news, I can't bring myself to worry. Life is too good to worry.
I took a walk out to the garden this morning like I do most mornings and brought back an unexpected bounty. Gold raspberries, red raspberries, blackberries and a single strawberry.
The strawberry sort of tickled me. Right at the front of a raised bed, full of wild strawberry runners was one perfect strawberry, growing by itself, out of season. Isn't that what we're like? Alone in the wild, growing out of season until the Father comes along and picks us?
Then, I found the peaches.
Somehow that little runt of a peach tree, consisting of 2 limbs and a few leaves, produced so many peaches that I had to carry them home in the tail of my T-shirt. No bugs. Few blemishes. Just lovely blushing fruit, ripe and warm, provided by the Father, maybe just to boost my spirits.
That's when the thought occurred to me that life goes on. No matter what. That if Jeff lost his job, life would go on. The sun would still rise. The berries would grow. The peaches would ripen. The bees would buzz around the mint blossoms. The kids would grow tall and strong. It might happen under different circumstances, but it would happen.
This morning, I can't worry. I can't be downhearted. How can I fear when my Saviour walked on water and quieted the winds? The waves may seem deep to us, but to Him, they're underfoot. Right?
If you don't mind my asking, remember my family in your prayers. Ask for God's hand of protection over us. Ask Him to give wisdom, knowledge and guidance to those involved in contract negotiations. Ask Him to comfort the other families that may be affected and that in some way, this pending layoff may lead them to Him, who is The Creator of all things, our Counselor and Everlasting God.
God's Grace,
Andrea
4 comments:
Andrea, I will pray that the hubby will stay employed and please pray for us and others out there also. My hubby's hours are down and pay cuts have been enacted.
Stay grounded in your faith and the Lord will see you through. Start now with cutting everything out of your budget that is not necessary and preserve anything you can get your hands on.
In two weeks, I am starting in a program to get myself employed (certificate program), because I know the inevitable is coming. I am heart sick. I am placing trust in the Lord that it will be alright, but can't help but to be scared. Look for an email from me soon and I apologize for not keeping in better touch.
Hang tough - you'll be in my prayers.
Situations like this are what prepping is all about - hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
You'll come out fine, regardless of what happens.
I will add your family to my prayers. We are beginning our sixteenth month since my husband was laid off. I'm very familiar with that pit that's in your stomach. I won't say we haven't struggled and sacrificed but we are not behind on any bills and have even paid a little extra on the mortgage for most of those months. God ALWAYS provides. My heart goes out to the millions of us that are in this boat.
My husband has an interview on Friday and I would ask for your prayers for him. God bless us all in these trying times.
I came over from seeing your name at Homestead Revival. Your name caught my eye and little did I know that I was going to be blessed when I got here.
We have farmed for over the last 30 years. Now it has to be split because Grandpa and Grandma died. We will inherit 80 acres, which we are so grateful for. With only that many acres it won't provide for our family in wheat and soybeans. We have prayed so as to what the Lord would like us to do. We are seeing doors open as we "need." It has been an amazing faith walk. That is what I have asked the Lord to do for you. You sound like such a precious lady, with God given faith. I have had times of such uncertainty. I remember waking in the night just ambushed with fear. We are 58 and 61 and always farmed. I will tell you God answered this last week, like we have never seen him before. I will be telling my blogger family on Monday. Please come by. It is truly a huge gift to our family. We still have 2 daughters at home 16 & 18. The other's are married. We are seeing how intimate the Lord is in our needs as we seek and walk with Him.
Thank you for this precious post. It encouraged me so.
Blessings new friend, the Lord is going to make your life a story for others to be encouraged!!!! As you know our God is in the details!
Linda
Post a Comment