Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Heavy-Hearted

Yesterday was the first day of school in our district and I have such a heavy heart today. Yesterday was terrible. Today is just 'heavy'.

Isaac loves first grade.

He's making friends with a little boy named Hunter who lives just down the road.

He loves eating in the cafeteria.

He's excited that there's a prize box and popcorn parties to reward good behavior.

But that doesn't lift the uneasiness I feel about giving up control over nearly every aspect of his life. What he hears. Who he hears it from. What he sees. What he's taught.

The one little ray of sunshine, an unexpected gift from God this week is that his teacher is a pastor's wife. Even though it feels like I just sent my lamb out amongst the wolves, I feel some comfort that there's going to be a shepherd looking out for him. Let's pray that her Godly influence will shine through in everything she does. Let's also pray for God's hand of protection over our children, to protect them mentally, physically and spiritually and bring them safely "home to their Mamas" as Mara would say.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there Andrea! I'm experiencing a bit of that on the "college" level! But so far, she'll be at home a while, so I'm enjoying every minute I can with her and praying that everything we've poured into her life, sticks like superglue!

Tancy said...

Praying Andrea! I cannot imagine how difficult it is!
Is he your first?

Vickie said...

Andrea - don't know if it'll help but...

I felt the same way when all three of my kids entered school. I prayed hard every year and with the exception of one teacher, all of my kids' teachers were "christian" people, good moral people, and that 'one' that wasn't was still a good teacher and a nice person. We prayed so hard cuz our kids had to go to public school, but they're all grown now, and they all turned out good.

Also, you have to let go and let God. Entrust your kids over to God when you can't be there (and even when you can!) He can take care of our babies EVER so much better than we can! It'll be ok, sweetie!

Jen_photography said...

God is good and he hand picked his teacher for him, and for you......He delights in those little things. Hugs!!!