Monday, August 30, 2010

Concealed Carry Training-From a Mama's Perspective

So let's talk concealed carry.

It's a subject that's been touched on in my circle of blogs a couple times, but not recently and probably not from a woman-and-mama's point of view. (And let's face it, motherhood changes ones outlook on *everything*.) I'm not going to talk about the laws or the conditions, restrictions, requirements etc. It's not my job to decipher law. I'm not a lawyer. I'm not a politico or a judge. I'm simply a woman and a mama, and this is my experience with concealed carry training.

I had wavered back and forth for months about taking a concealed carry class, literally months, before I broke down and took the class. I'll admit it: I was scared. It was intimidating. It was completely and totally outside of my comfort zone. I couldn't justify a need for it. It felt unlady-like. (I know. Don't roll your eyes.)

But I finally did it.

And I loved it.


It was a long, 12-hour day, but I walked away with so much valuable information. My instructor was a no-BS type of guy, a little rough around the edges but he laid things out very clearly. He was especially passionate about Ohio's Castle doctrine-which in truth was one of the main reasons I attended the class. I wanted to know *exactly* what my rights are in my home or in my car and the possible repercussions of using lethal force.


I'd wondered about what I was legally required to do if someone broke into my house while the kids and I were home alone. Some states require that you retreat. Some states suggest less-than-lethal force. Some states require that you vocalize to the intruder what your intentions are before you act. So many states, so many laws.


And again, with concealed carry, so many states, so many laws. Some states recognize Ohio's concealed carry licenses. Others don't. Most require that you try to retreat. Some may not. Some states require classes, range practice, background checks, fingerprinting. A few don't. Concealed carry and Castle Doctrine laws can be confusing, especially when you have to translate the "legalese" which is why this class was such a wonderful experience. My instructor gave legal explanations of lethal force, concealed carry, self-defense, retreat, and then translated them into real English that everyone could clearly understand. It was invaluable, in my humble opinion.


Laws and classroom-time aside, we spent 2 hours at the firing range, practicing various stances and grips and displaying 'competency in handling a firearm.' Again, it was scary, intimidating, outside of my comfort zone, especially being one of only 3 women in the class. I felt like the class was watching and waiting for me to mess up. Drop the gun. Accidentally shoot the instructor. Cry.

I volunteered for the first group.

And again, I loved it!

The instructor had us practice in small groups in a number of different stances and grips, 25 rounds at a time. He was completely in control of the situation, reassured his students when there was a problem and challenged us in ways many had not been challenged before.

"Anyone can hit a target shooting with both hands," he pointed out. "What can you do with you one hand? What about your non-dominant hand?"

It was an awesome experience! Am I going to win an award in marksmanship? Probably not. But I'm walking away knowing that I can unload and reload quickly. I know that I can shoot as well left-handed as I can right-handed. I know that I consistently fire a bit high and to the right. And I'm much more familiar with the workings of my firearm. Well worth $75 and 12 hours of my time.

The question of whether to carry is so exquisitely personal that no 2 people may come to the same conclusion by the same reasoning. There's so much to consider, such as personality and mindset, past experiences, religious background, even medical history! I haven't made the decision to carry yet. I may never make that decision. But thank God that we have that right, to carry or not and the right to make that decision for ourselves.

8 comments:

Bitmap said...

You've taken the first step. Now start saving up your pennies so you can go to a real fighting class. Don't forget to take a good class on fighting with (and general use of) rifles as well.

Good luck.

Pete Smith said...

You sound like my wife all she would say about shooting was how intimidating it was and how scared she was to shoot. But after I got her out there and she shot her first full day she now shoots every time I go and she will ask to go now if I don't say anything about it for a time.
You did a good thing and now have a skill that if you keep it sharp will always be there for you and could save your life or the lives of your family.

Andrea said...

Thanks for the comments, fellers.

You know, Pete, the thing is, I wasn't intimidated about shooting. We shoot in the backyard fairly often. I've shot shotguns, rifles, handguns. I particularly enjoy an M-14 and my step-dad's antique revolver.

Taking the step to sign up, being a woman in a classroom full of men, performing in front of others...that was the intimidating part. That and the fact that my teacher stood somewhere around six-three, 350 pounds and looked a bit like one of the Soggy Bottom Boys (O Brother Where Art Thou). That was a tad unnerving too.

TheSurvivalMom said...

Good for you, Andrea! I understand completely about feeling intimidated by being one of only three women in the class. I felt the same way. When it came to qualifying (I had to get a certain amount of shots within the center zone of a target), I was so nervous that I started shooting using my non-dominant eye! Amazingly, I managed to pass! Now, of course, Arizona recently passed a law saying that anyone can carry concealed, but I'm so proud of my CC permit that I carry it with me all the time!

Chief Instructor said...

It's a great thing you've taken the training. Now YOU can make the decision whether to carry or not. You've now got the skills and knowledge to proceed as your life dictates.

It has been very interesting with the make up of my introductory and advanced classes. Over the last 6 months to a year, the class make-up has been trending towards women. I have a class this Saturday, and it is 75% women!

People are starting to that the whole idea of the police being able to protect you is a false promise. Unless you have one with you 24/7, you're responsible for yourself.

Aleisha said...

You're one of my heroes!!!

Andrea said...

::blush::

Thanks for the encouragement.

I did some studying/research this morning and I think I'm at peace with the idea of being Christian and concealed carry. It's such a divisive issue, but in this case it seems that man's law and God's law are in sync.

1st1shot said...

Great! I also recommend you join Ohioans For Concealed Carry, as they fight to protect and expand our concealed carry rights in Ohio!!