Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spiritual Gifts-Or The Lack Thereof

A word of caution before you proceed: This post will contain large amounts of whining, a little bit of wallowing in self-pity, sarcasm and perhaps a few scandalous confessions. Proceed at your own discretion.

Last year, my pastor Craig did a great sermon on spiritual gifts...you can listen to it here, listed as 'What's In Your Lunch'. He handed out lunch sacks and proceeded to tell us how everyone has been given spiritual gifts of some sort; that when we were created, God filled us with gifts the same way moms pack lunches into brown paper bags each day. I enjoyed that sermon, but left feeling sort of inadequate and in many ways, I still feel that inadequacy.

So, in preparation for a class I'm taking this Sunday, I have a printout discussing those same gifts. We simply go through a short test, answer a few questions and at the end, we should be able to cipher the answers and determine what our gifts may be.

Here comes the self pity part: if I felt inadequate before, I feel woefully, pathetically inadequate now. I took the test and determined my high scores, which are only high scores in comparison to the other pitifully low scores.

I don't feel like I'm merciful, helpful, knowledgeable. I'm not a teacher, a leader or an organizer. I have a hard time applying scripture to real life situations. While I feel like I do have some gifts, nowhere on the test did I see "Good at Scrounging" or "Frightens Commissioned Salespeople." Other gifts I hoped I'd find on the list include:

-Grows monster tomatoes
-Rarely pays full price
-Runs and Screams like a girl when confronted with a snake
-Snorts when laughing
-Basketcase/Weeps during old movies
-Makes best meatloaf ever
-Isn't afraid of power tools (just her husband using power tools)

Unfortunately, being able to talk a salesman into a free platinum service agreement isn't a recognized gift. And apparently, few people appreciate a short woman who can clear a 4 ft. farm fence when she finds a snake in the yard. So, I'm back to square one, trying to figure out what my gifts are and in what areas I'd be most useful to my church. The only gift I can come up with is that I'm resourceful. I'm good at finding freebies, reusing and repurposing, making-do and talking people into seeing things my way. But tell me how that would apply to any of the ministries at church?

I know, this post comes off as quite sarcastic, but in all honesty and with all sincerity, I will tell you that this subject has bothered me since last August. How is it that a woman my age (35-there's your scandalous confession) still doesn't know what her strong points are? How can it be that I don't recognize gifts other than making killer meatloaf and being an A-1 wheeler and dealer? How do you recognize your direction/calling/path in life if you don't know who you are or what you're capable of?

So, my dear spiritual friends out there in bloggerland, how did you figure it out? How did you figure out your gifts and the ways you could best use them to serve God?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God can use each one of us in unique ways. Just have a willing spirit to serve and God will guide and open doors for your unique gifts. Pastor Calvin

Stacy McKenna said...

The best way I've found so far is to ask "what do you need?" of those around me (at church or otherwise) and then volunteer for those things they mention that you're good at. If you keep your ears open you might find out about families or organizations that would benefit from some of those amazing tomatoes you grow, or a homebound neighbor who's missing the taste of home-cooked meatloaf. Your wheeling and dealing might be useful in fundraising campaigns, actually. I know that might sound mercenary, but if your skill at getting the platinum deal for free can be focused into getting more funds donated to this charitable cause or that, I would find that a Godly application of your skills.

The trick is not to say "I can do X, Y and Z! What do you want me to do?" but to listen carefully and closely to what people need, possibly asking "How can I help?" and being open to any and all answers up front. Careful listening and focusing on the needs of others is usually the core of learning to serve...

Rachel said...

I don't know you but I follow your blog and find you very inspiring. You are making an impact on people without even knowing it, just by sharing your experiences. I cried when you talked about your granny Magdalene and the importance of family and being there for her, I was inspired to start a garden this year and have hopes of canning and baking bread (successfully - I've done it unsuccessfully many times). Just hearing about your faith and what motivates you motivates others to search for God too.

Linda said...

Stacy took the words right out of my mouth. You are an inspiration to us all. You have many gifts that can be used. Just listen & find out where you can apply them.

(((((Andie)))))

Chief Instructor said...

I think many of your perceived shortcomings revolve around leadership. I've found that if you just go out and do "it", people will follow. Most people won't take the personal initiative to move forward, and need someone to show them the way.

Leadership is the ability to convince others that your beliefs and goals make sense and are just. It can be an Army sergeant convincing his troops to storm a beach in the face of overwhelming odds, or a stay-at-home mom trying to figure out how to help her family prosper during uncertain times.

You are showing leadership with your children by teaching them self-sufficiency by planting veggies, and making your own clothes and making cheese. You're teaching all of us when you share your stories. Your knowledge of what works and what doesn't gets passed along.

BTW, I'd LOVE to hear about your negotiating skills. I'm horrible in working a deal!

Andrea said...

Thanks to each of you for your support and suggestions! I think you are all right...that no matter what the gift, it can be used in some way or another to serve God. I never considered taking meatloaf to Granny Magdalene's family a service to God...it's just something you do help hurting people through tough times. But that's what moved Jesus...hurting people. I guess it's just a matter of finding an outlet for a particular gift and being willing to use it when that door opens. I think I knew that...it was just helpful hearing it in different terms from different folks.

Jan said...

Oh Andie, I have listened to the sermon and I have got to tell you that I cried. I enjoyed it very much and now am searching for my our spiritual gifts. I wish I lived closer to you to beable to attend your church.
God gave you the gift to beable to take a few veggies and make a complete meal. Or encourage others to follow a path of sustainablity. He also gave you the wisdom to know how to get the deals you need.
You help others just by writing your blog. Kuddos to you.
PS I tried to find the Spiritual gift inventory list and can not find it. Could you please let me know how to find it. Thank you so much, your friend, Janis

Patricia said...

I have absolutely no spiritual gifts I think. So I keep it very, very simple, my relationship with God. Here's the motto I go by: Service to others is service to God. Other human beings are shown God's love and care for them through your willingness to help them. Loving them as you love yourself--is anything harder and simplier than that? I find that nearly impossible, but it is the effort that counts, that matters. And Andrea, through this blog and through your efforts in life, you are offering of yourself to others. God blesses that effort.
Onwards!
HM