Thursday, February 25, 2010

For Linda-Dutch Meatloaf

This is perhaps the greatest meatloaf recipe ever. It's pretty much fool-proof...it's always moist, flavorful and delish! The sauce that you pour over top before you bake forms a sweet-tangy glaze that really changes the whole meatloaf experience. We use venison in this dish, but feel free to substitute cow if you're so inclined.

And by the way, when I say bread crumbs, I mean crumbled bread slices, not the powdery, grainy stuff you buy at the grocery. It may seem like splitting hairs to you, but it really makes a big difference in the finished product. Take the extra 5 minutes to toast and crumble a few slices of bread...it will be worth it!

Dutch Meatloaf

1.5 pounds ground meat of your choice
1 c. bread crumbles
1 diced onion
1/2 c ketchup
1 beaten egg
1.5 t salt
1.5 t pepper

In a large bowl, place the ground meat, bread crumbles and diced onion. In a small bowl, combine the egg, ketchup and spices. Mix well, then pour over the meat mixture and lightly mix. Form into a loaf and place in a deep baking dish.

For the sauce, combine:
1/2 c ketchup
1 c water
2T prepared mustard
2t vinegar
2T brown sugar.

Mix well then pour over top of the meatloaf. Bake in a 375 oven for approximately 60-70 minutes or til the center of the meatloaf is no longer pink. To expedite the cooking time, form a hollow spot in the center of the meatloaf...this will shorten cooking time a good deal. Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and fresh buttered bread.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My family LOVES this. It's almost identical to my recipe, but I have not tried toasting the bread first. I will next time. Oh, and I sub sucanat for the brown sugar. You can make two and freeze one for another night, too.

Andrea said...

Isn't this the greatest meatloaf ever! You don't HAVE to toast the bread to make your own bread crumbs, you can just tear the bread into small pieces. I just think the bread crumbs you buy from the store make a heavy, yucky meatloaf.

Linda said...

Thank you so much Andie!!! I am excited to try this recipe. I will definitely toast the bread and make my own bread crumbs.

Pete Smith said...

I made a copy of this and will have my wife give it a try, Thanks Pete

The Jaracz Family said...

Yum! My favorite side dish for meatloaf is au gratin potatoes. I'm out of green beand, can't wait til June!

Chief Instructor said...

I'm an avowed carnivore, but meatloaf is one type of meat I'm not crazy about.

My family loves it, though. OK, OK, we'll give it a try!

BTW, great point on the bread crumbs. Make your own every single time - it really does pay off.