We lost our Granny Magdalene tonight and I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss her. Last Friday, Mara and I went over for a quick visit with a plate of Coconut Macaroons and I knew it wouldn't be long. She was tired and confused, not her energetic, vivacious self. The cancer took her quickly, which I'm thankful for, as strange as that sounds. I won't remember her being sick; I'll remember her gardening, talking about her fish pond and enticing the kids over for cookies. I'll always be thankful that she came over on Isaac's first day of kindergarten; I needed the hugs that day. She called it a 'happy, sad day' and gave me the kind of hugs that only grannies can give.
Tomorrow, I'll have to explain to the kids that Granny Magdalene isn't there anymore. We've been wonderfully, incredibly blessed to have enjoyed good health in our family, so dying isn't a subject that we've broached before. We lost my step-grandma 2 years ago, but the kids were too young to understand why we didn't go to visit Granny Rose any longer. Tomorrow is going to be a trying day for everyone living on the Knobs.
If you wouldn't care, remember us in your prayers. Magdalene leaves behind a husband, 4 children, numerous grandchildren and extended family who loved her dearly. She was a faithful Christian, so we can all rest knowing that she's at peace, rejoicing in the Saviour's presence.
8 comments:
I'm very sorry for your loss. I see death so often at my work( I'm in nursing) and I can say I never have gotten used to it. Death is a part of life, but is such a hard part. I tell my friends to live and love everyday as if it were your last day on earth, because we never know when the good Lord will call our name. I will Pray for you and your family. Pete
You're all in our prayers. She's in a better place now.
Oh, Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear this news because of the grief you all are facing. Yes, she is rejoicing with the Saviour and for that everyone can be grateful. But I know your week has not been an easy one and the loss of a friend, will be an added sorrow. Keeping you in my prayers!
I am sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you and your family. God Bless you.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You're in our prayers.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry. The greatest loss in our culture of moving around so much was the removal of extended family from the lives of children. How lucky you were to have had her so close and such a real presence when you children were small.
virtual hugs
Sorry for your loss. God Bless you and family.
Post a Comment