Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Weekly Top Ten Revisited

Last year, about this same time of the year, I did a list of the top ten skills I wanted to learn during 2009 and I'm pretty pleased to see that I accomplished quite a few of the goals on my list. Some of them are ongoing; cheese-making for instance. Mozzarella cheese is 'brain-dead easy', as a friend of mine would say. Cheddar and hard cheeses are a little more involved. We started our garden plants from seed and hatched chicks this summer, check and check. And the kids loved our homemade pop. Maybe too much.

I never learned sourdough bread making, but I've practiced long and hard at yeast breads, so I think it's a draw. I haven't picked up a pair of knitting needles since last winter, but there's still hope. Ditto for needlework. So now it's nearly time to bid 2009 adieu (and good riddance) and give thought to 2010. Here are a few of the things on my list for next year.

1. Knitting. I'm going to learn to knit, darnit.
2. Candlemaking. It's not rocket science, I just haven't taken the time to do it.
3. Grain-milling. I want to learn how to mill grains and prepare something edible with them.
4. Lacto-fermenting. Beyond sauerkraut, I mean.
5. Find a knock-off recipe for Jack Daniels Vanilla Spice Egg Nog.
6. Root cellaring. I've got an area of crawl space that is wicked cold in the winter. Not freezing, but cold. Why not use that space?

So these are a few of the things that I'm aiming to learn over the next 12 months. I'm sure some of them will be dropped from the list and others added, but like any list, it's a work in progress. Now it's your turn. Spill the beans. What's on your list for 2010?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are some good books on cooking with home storage that do go into detail a little on grain mills. My wife uses "Cooking with Home Storage". I can't remember who wrote it but I am sure if you google it, you can find it.

Pete Smith said...

Sounds like a great list. I try to learn one new skill a year but I think I will start to try to learn two or three a year. Down the road your skills will be your way to make a life and have food for your family.

The Jaracz Family said...

Here goes, I hope Kathy isn't reading because she'll check up on me! Let's call it an "I can have my dreams for 2010 list."

1 Get some chickens
2 Get some plums from the trees we planted last year aka battle the bugs
3 Plant a few more fruit trees
4 produce more honey
5 & more pork
6 Learn to really mulch in the garden so we can do more productive things instead of pull weeds
7 Learn to make harvest to kitchen and kitchen to eating smoother (I need another fridge just for produce, I'm not in denial anymore)
8 learn to grow lettuce as year round as possible
9 maybe show some things at the fair, but where is the time for that?
10 keep the kids having fun in all this!

PaleRider said...

Well all of you are hitting on all 8 cylinders, quite an impressive list from all and I am pleased to say new ideas of looking into myself.You at this site and Andrea have got me thinking what I need to learn this year.
1) Yogurt making
2) cheese making
3) container potatoe growing
4) Candle making
5) Solar expansion for power
6) Better grain mill to oven breads
7) Building a real smoke house
8) Make more sausage varieties
9) Better prep for dehydration of foods, ie; eggs,spices,meat(jerky)

Well that should keep me busy for 8-9 months lol.

I challenge all here that follow this sight to share what you learn with each other so as to strenghten all of us. Once again Andrea way to go on this blog.