Thursday, December 10, 2009

Preparedness Companies

Whilst waiting for my grain mill to be delivered, I've been scoping out different companies, trying to find the best deals on bulk grains. There are so many companies out there, it's hard to know who to trust! Which leads me to wonder...who do my cyber-friends do business with?

My favorite company so far has been Emergency Essentials. Admittedly, some of their prices aren't the best, but I deal with them solely for their return policy. "30 day Unconditional" is a good thing in my opinion, plus they offer a 1 year guarantee on any non-food item, above and beyond any warranty offered by the manufacturer. Gotta love that!

I've also been checking out Honeyville Grain company and a company called PrepareCo. Anyone dealt with these folks before? PrepareCo's return policy unnerves me, I must admit.

So who do you buy your goodies from?

8 comments:

Chief Instructor said...

I have had very good experience with MREDepot.com. Good selection, decent prices, and if you're on their mailing list, they have lots of discount specials.

Waltonfeed.com has a wide selection of grains and other foodstuff at competitive prices.

CheaperThanDirt.com has a good variety of personal defense, preps and ammo at decent prices as well.

Shipping charges are a key. Like most folks, I always look at my total cost to have the goods delivered to determine my cost-per-pound.

Anonymous said...

I have bought a huge amount of supplies from Walton Feed (http://waltonfeed.com/), including a complete 18 wheeler load in 1999. They are good folks and offer decent prices on bulk food items.

Lehmans (http://www.lehmans.com/) is another good source of tools and "off grid environment" items.

Like Chief Instructor I have purchased a lot from MRE Depot and been happy with what I got.

Also Internet Grocers sells a lot of canned items like butter and cheese you have a hard time finding.

Pete Smith said...

I have used Honeyville, Sportsman Guide, Survival Enterprises, and Emergency Essentials. All have done me good and I have never had a problem with any of them. I just placed an order with Honeyville Grain for more Milk, Ham TVP and a few other items and I love the $4.49 shipping to the USA.

Unknown said...

Shipping grain out west is extremely expensive (An $18/50 bag of grain costs around $50 to ship, if I remember correctly)! I've researched this every which way trying to get around the costs, but the only viable option I found was to join a co-op. I use UNFI. A minimum order is $1000, but if you get several people to go in and form your own co-op, you can buy one bag or 20 bags of grain. Your choice. I honestly don't believe there is any shipping because I pay $10 a year to be a member of my local co-op and I just pay tax on non-food items. (Oh, and we each work a very small job such as distributing the items when they arrive, placing the order, etc.).

UNFI allows you to by from tons of name brand products such as Bob's Red Mill, Frontier, Lundberg, Guisto's. You can get everything from toilet paper to gourmet chocolate, bulk items to single items, frozen foods to supplements. The prices aren't always the very best (it ain't discount shopping), but the price is usually average. What keeps me using them, they sell everything, and I can get pretty much any grain with free shipping. Email me is you want to know more. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Unknown said...

opps. That is an $18/50 POUND bag.

Aaron said...

Hi! It's Aaron from www.prepareco.com. Good to see we are a consideration. Your comment on the return policy is fair. We have struggled with the 'right' return policy on grains. Our challenge is verifying the integrity of the contents once it's returned. Once we find the best way to do that our policy will be the same as it is for all our other products, i.e. If you're not satisfied we'll take it back! We are always open to constructive comments/feedback. Thanks again for your consideration. We'd like your business and i'm grateful for your comments.

Andrea said...

Hi Aaron! I'm glad you posted because you have some great prices on grains, especially considering they're packaged for longterm storage! I can understand the problem with returns and now that there's a 'face' to the name, maybe I can do business with you.

Unknown said...

I want to second the suggestion of Lehman's hardware. They really have the expertise and advice to back their products.