Monday, December 14, 2009

A Note From Isaac

I hated watching my little boy climb onto the bus 4 months ago. It seemed like we had just brought him home from the hospital and now the world was stealing him away. I'm selfish and didn't want to share my boy. Once the world discovered how amazing he is, they'd want a piece of his precious childhood and it grieved me to face that.

But now, I'm more amazed at him than ever. 4 months into the school year, he is reading simple books, writing simple sentences and expressing himself in new ways. A child-sized roll-top desk stuffed with scrap paper and crayons is his favorite activity now. He spends much of his time writing letters and mailing them in old envelopes. Before breakfast this morning, Mara delivered a letter from Isaac.

"Deere Mom I Lov You"

It's a keeper, alongside with the letter to Santa he dictated to me 2 years ago and the combine he drew on the back of a Frisch's place mat. The tears of sadness that I cried 4 months ago are turning into tears of joy as I watch my baby grow into a kind, loving boy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stand by for heavy rolls.

School is tough on kids. My wife and I are both certified teachers in Georgia, but we home-schooled our kids. We bought their curriculum from Texas Tech. The quality of the education they were getting was marginal, and the socialization was not positive.

I hope things go well for your little guy.

Andrea said...

I feel really good about the school that my son goes to. I graduated from the same school, along with my mom and step-dad! It's a smallish county school with a graduating class under 100, give or take. I'm amazed at what he's learning! I remember kindergarten being nothing but coloring and show-n-tell. I never imagined he'd be reading before he turned 6!

PaleRider said...

Holy smokes you have a blog! Well I did choose well when I sent my emails to you about advice. Cool now I have a lot of reading to doto get up to speed. Way cool, my hat is off to you.

Andrea said...

::blush::