Monday, November 2, 2009

Post-Holiday Slow Down

One holiday down, 3 more to go! We're getting back to normal after a chilly Halloween weekend. The kids made out like bandits....huge bags of candy plus a few small toys like activity books and bubbles. Gotta love non-edible Halloween treats! I'll post some pictures for you soon...Mara was Tinkerbell and Isaac was a Nascar pit crew feller...Jeff picked up a new digital camera for me last week and I haven't loaded the software yet, so no pics to show today.

I don't have much to post about today; the garden is through, the canning is pretty much done and no pictures to show off; but I do want to tell you about the fun Jeff and I had yesterday. Isaac and Mara helped their Mamaw and Papaw to rake leaves all afternoon, so Jeff and I did something we haven't done in nearly 5 years- metal detecting! A friend of ours lives in an old one-room schoolhouse and let us hunt his property to see what we could find. We spent around 3 hours hunting and found some interesting things; a piece of costume jewelry, a pocket watch, a few coins, a spoon, etc. Nothing particularly valuable, but still fun to find! I think the change of scenery and routine was great for everyone!

On the agenda for this week: the usual stuff. Grocery shopping, laundry, canning or drying a few more apples, and probably raking some leaves. And deer hunting, lots and lots of deer hunting. Every time Jeff comes home empty-handed, Mara just drops her head and cries. Can't take too much more of the disappointment!

So, til later, take care.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a blessing he has someplace to hunt! I grew up on venison and we always hunted in south TX, however, living in CA it is difficult to find a place to hunt! I really want my husband to bring home some meat this year, but don't know if we can find a place to hunt other than a paid lease (we never had to pay growing up - always had friends with property). We literally have plenty of deer in our own back yard, but the rules around here won't allow it. Plus, it just isn't sportsman like, you know?

Pete Smith said...

I love this time of year and I'm sure that your photos will look great. This is the time of year I slow down a bit and do my fun stuff. We drive up to apple hill and have fun and go on more walks. Me and my wife do lots of fun stuff from Oct-Jan.