Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Not Your Momma's Sweet Taters

Oh, do I have a recipe to share with you! I don't like the typical sweet potato-brown sugar-marshmallow side dishes...they're normally overly sweet and sort of disappointing. My grandma made a dish that featured a topping full of nuts, butter and black pepper that she broiled, which was a nice change of pace but still fairly sweet.

Last night on the Food Network, Alton Brown made a sweet potato dish that used chipotle peppers and adobo sauce that I simply had to try! So, I picked up the ingredients this morning and made it today along with a pot of (very local) goulash and I just can't tell you how delicious this dish is! And the best thing about it is how simple it is. Just a few simple ingredients and about 20 minutes is all it takes. The potatoes have a smokey flavor with just a touch of heat depending on how many peppers you chop up in the mash. The flavor is familiar, but sort of exotic too, at least to a girl from Ohio LOL.

While they're a real change from the syrupy-marshmallow-y sweet potatoes we're used to, to me, they're a welcome change of pace. You'll find the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the ethnic section or olive/pickle/pepper aisle depending on where you shop. Give it a try; I think you'll like them!

3 comments:

The Jaracz Family said...

Alton Brown is cool. I still can't have anything in my kitchen that's a "uni-tasker."

Pete Smith said...

I still think I have to go with the old way grandma use to do it. I'm to much of a country boy to not want the brown sugar and marshmallow recipe. But I did pass the link on to my wife and she said it could be delicious so we may see. I don't know.

Chief Instructor said...

I've never met a sweet potato I didn't despise. Can't stand the things!