I can't believe Thanksgiving break is almost over! It seems like we barely had time to sit down and enjoy ourselves and now it's over. It was a good time, and I hate to see it end.
We've managed to accomplish a few things during our 4-5 day break. Yesterday we took the 30 minute drive to the closest Mennonite store and stocked up on wheat, oats, popcorn and deli items. They did some remodeling and now have a small cafe in one area of their store, so we enjoyed a bit of ice cream after our shopping. Myself, I was there for the whole grains! I simply cannot wait to get my grain mill! I think Jeff is pretty excited too as he keeps asking me if it can grind this or that. I feel like it's a small step/giant leap into preparedness; since we spent the money, we're now committed to this life!
We're also setting up an additional set of shelves in our storage area. It's the second new set of shelves we've added this year, which is a nice commentary on the amount of food and supplies we've put up since last year. Eventually I'd like to have permanent, attractive wood shelves built into our basement, but for now, the metal shelves will do fine. One project at a time.
Yesterday Jeff picked up our deer from the processor and got it put away in the deep freeze. People think we're kidding when we tell them how much our kids enjoy deer, but I tell you, it's no exaggeration. When Jeff came home with Bambi and told the kids that it was frozen solid, they both sat down and cried. We had some of our ground deer made into 'Deer/Hunter Sticks'; (think Slim Jim without the greasy feeling.) Both kids could live on it given the chance, and with my blessings. I'm sure it's healthier than any other kind of convenience food/fast food going. And it tastes soooooo good!
On the down side, Isaac nearly scared the life out of me. He was wallering in one of our glider-rockers Friday night and fell, landing on the floor shoulder-first. He screamed his head off for a few minutes and then continued to cry whenever he moved his arm or shoulder. Dangit. We ended up taking him to urgent care because, naturally, the pediatrician's office was closed, but as it turns out nothing is broken. The doctor ordered x-rays, but told us that he didn't see any need to have them taken, if we chose not to. He said he thought that Isaac either had a sprain or some bad bruising and that alternating Tylenol and Motrin would be our best option. Even IF there was a hairline fracture, all they'd say is take him home and give him Tylenol. Hmm. So what the heck are the x-rays for? Anyway, he was feeling better last night, just a little tender and spent the evening snuggling with me on the couch watching "The Incredibles."
This morning, we'll be getting back into our normal routine; church at 9:45, a quick lunch and a grocery run afterwards. Then laundry, dishes and getting ready for back to work/school tomorrow.
How was your Thanksgiving break?
1 comment:
It is like this year is just shooting by so fast. I can't even think about it being December in just days. I feel as if I have so much to do and little time to do it all in.
And it feels so good to have to add more shelves to your storage area when your preps get to big for the area you have now. I need to build a few more myself.
And I hope little Isaac is doing well. Pete
http://patriotsagainstthenwo.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment