I tried my hand at a new project this week...canning butter. I know, it sounds odd, but if you can can milk, meat, eggs....why not butter? I found a recipe at the Handmaiden's site, detailing how to go about canning butter and thought I'd give it a go, especially since I found a great price on butter at an Amish store.
The directions are fairly simple: bring the butter to a boil for 7 minutes, ladle into the jars, seal and shake the dickens out of the jars to keep the fat/cream mixed. That's pretty much it. The most difficult part of the entire process, well, there is no difficult part, it's just a bit time consuming. You have to shake the jars every 5 minutes or so til they're room temperature, then transfer them to the fridge and continue shaking every few minutes until the butter sets up. Start to finish, you have at least 2 hours involved.
You may be wondering why I'd bother canning butter and I have 3 reasons for you.
1). Because I can.
2). It's a good way to never run out of butter and have to run up to the local grocery at odd hours to pick up butter for toast. It's always good to have extra of the things that you use daily.
3). We like butter a lot, especially the soft, spreadable butter that L-O-L sells for about $4/tub. That gets expensive quick! This canned butter has a softer, spreadable texture with no weird additives.
So now you know.
1 comment:
I've always wanted to do this. Just might have to do it the next time it's on sale.
Post a Comment