Friday, July 17, 2009

What I Learned On My Summer Staycation

Remember having to write those cheesy short essays in school about what you did on vacation? Here's mine.

"On my summer staycation, I learned how to drive a trailer. I can back up an 8 foot trailer and put it pretty much anywhere I want to. I still need more practice, but for a beginner, I'm doing well.

I also learned how to use a nail gun, and especially not to put your face over top of the nail gun because there's a startling puff of compressed air that comes out of the top when you shoot it. I learned how to work with foam insulation and helped to insulate a new chicken coop.

I learned how to form and pour concrete, and how to finish it so it looks pretty. I also learned that cement truck drivers never have change so make sure you have *exactly* the right amount of money on hand.

I learned how to do some creative cake-baking and made a monkey-faced chocolate birthday cake for my mom's birthday. I used odd shaped pans and pieced together a very friendly looking monkey with big ears and a round snout. And that's all I learned on my summer staycation. The end."

We have one more project to tackle (disassembling a deck) and another 10 days of time off. We're hoping to take up the deck in the next few days and then relax and have fun the rest of our time off. Fun plans include a trip to the USAF Museum in Fairborn, Ohio, a trip to Boonshoft Kids Museum in Dayton and a fishing trip to 'Uncle Joe's' lake. Postings will probably be scant in the next 10 days, but I'll be sure to post more chick pics.

Best wishes from the Run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could never figure out what to write for those school essays, since my family rarely went anywhere or did anything spectacular. Staycations, but without the excitement of yours! I think you've had more success than a lot of the traditional vacations.
Thinking about it, either a vacation or staycation (or whatever other name) is really a break from the everyday, it doesn't have to mean lounging and doing nothing... learning something new, doing something different, that is what these days can be.
Oh - monkey cake - can you share a pic? It looks like a lot of fun :-)