Friday, July 17, 2009

Weirdness of a Wannabe Homesteader

Okay, a little confession from a wannabe homesteader. There's this goofy thing I do, almost compulsively and I'm not sure why I do it...I loiter in the real estate section of the New York Times.

I love the real estate section! They show beautiful, often historical homes with interesting pasts, but that's not the reason I loiter. I like to gawk at the prices. It amazes me the prices that homes, condos and apartments bring in the New York area. 300K for an apartment approximately the size of my brother's size 14 shoe box. A million for a condo with a (gasp) window overlooking a meat-packing plant. One very interesting place actually had a bathtub in the kitchen as the place was too small for a real bath. (The bathtub in the kitchen was listed under the 'cons' section of the rental listing. Good to know. I don't think I'd have figured that out without it listed under 'cons'.)

I see the prices, the traffic congestion, the crime and yell at the tenants "Move to Ohio For half a million you could live likes kings!" Of course they never listen. It's like they can't hear me or something. No we don't have Broadway, Times Square or as many job possibilities. What we do have is affordable housing, wide open country, decent schools, room to breathe. Of course, I'm biased; I think I live in one of the most perfect areas going. There's not too many places in the world where a rooster wakes you up every morning at 6am, there's a 10 ft tall privacy fence of field corn, and you can strip off your wet bathing suit on the back patio without being reported to the sheriff.

Maybe we should rename our little farmstead...instead of Chicky-Bit Run, how about Practically Perfect?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Or how about "A Slice of Heaven" , "Piece of Paradise", or "Have-It-All Haven". Just kidding. I agree with you! I live only two hours north of LA and the coast - prices are notoriously high and for what... smog, traffic congestion, crime, etc.? I am living my dream at River Rock Cottage!