I just had one of those 'Well Duh!' moments...actually, it was a few days ago. When we were fencing our yard 5 years ago, we dug up a number of sassafras roots, recognizable by their distinct smell, but never really gave them any more thought. Til last week. I had forgotten about them until I went to move my herb garden and rediscovered the roots. All those annoying trees sprouting in my herb garden are baby sassafras trees...Yay! I have a free, renewable food source that I had entirely forgotten about!
When I did some research looking for a recipe, I found a lot of conflicting information about the safety of using sassafras root due the volatile oil it produces. Apparently taken in large doses over a period of time it can lead to liver cancer. This really concerned me until I read a report that basically stated that sassafras tea is no more dangerous (in moderation) than alcohol, black tea or any other drink. That is wonderful to know!
If part of being self-sufficient is using what's available locally, then I'm in there! As soon as the weather clears up a bit, I'm going to go dig up a root and brew my first batch of sassafras tea. I'll post later this week and let you know how it turns out.
1 comment:
Hey Lady, as a small girl I remember digging those roots up for my papaw in Kentucky. That's right he used it for some medicinal purpose but I don't remember what for. He had rhuemtoid arthritis but I don't know. I just remember going with dad to dig it up. Surprise, surprise! Who would guess it's your dear old mom. Sorry I never told you that story.
Mom
Post a Comment