Sometimes, oftentimes the homeliest meals are the best tasting sort. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive or extravagant, just simple and from scratch. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight in fact....goulash, green beans, corn bread, homemade pickles and fruit with ice cream for dessert. I mean really, does it get any better than that? The only thing I can think of that would possibly make that meal taste better.....being able to eat it on the patio with warm sun and a gentle breeze.
When I was a little girl, making the cornbread for dinner was my job...and I think it was my job because cornbread is nearly impossible to screw up. The recipe we used was so easy too...
1 cup self rising corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1 T sugar
'enough' buttermilk
1T oil or shortening
Put the tablespoon of oil or shortening in a heavy pan or cast iron skillet and pop it in the oven to get red hot. Mix up all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. When the oil is smoking hot, pour it into the batter and pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, til the bread raises in the center and browns lightly. Serve it warm with some butter and OMG you'll think you died and went to hog Heaven.
2 comments:
Homely meals are indeed the best. I think it is the simplicity of the dishes that make them so. "Peasant" food is another term I have heard used to describe "homely" meals.
Hey girl,
I noticed that you commented on Linda's page about how to change your layout background!
She got her background from us, www.scrappinblogs.blogspot.com and we have a "how to" section on the left hand side that will explain step by step how to change your background without losing any gadgets or messing up your blog! Email us if you have any problems, we love to help!
♥
Post a Comment