Well, my darling Jeffery and I did the math and the conclusion we've come to is Millie is really a Billy. We'd talked about what a BIG bird she is and how much larger her comb is compared to the other hens. We'd noticed that she would jump on other hens and bite them, but I think we were in denial.

THIS is what an Ameracauna hen should look like....

Our Ameracauna 'hen' looks a lot more like this.

Yup, he's a rooster, which is okay. I don't think he's destined for the stew pot anytime soon. I've been curious about hatching chicks, so it looks like now is the perfect opportunity. Gonna hatch me some Ameracauna-Frizzle chicks and if things work out the way I hope they do, the results should be something along these lines. The picture doesn't do them justice, I promise you. Ain't nothing as cute as a frizzle!

It would appear that hatching chicks may be the next step on our journey to self-sufficiency. If I could just talk Jeff into a dairy goat, we'd really be on a roll, but one thing at a time, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment