Today is fridge-emptying day here at Chicky-Bit-Run which can only mean one thing...Soup for dinner! I've tried to get the into the habit of making soup at least once, if not twice a week. Why? It's simple. It's cheap. It can be made out of anything on hand. Everyone likes it. AND, it's a good way to use up those leftover bits and pieces that are just sitting in the fridge.
The Soup du Jour is Sweet Vegetable with homegrown herbs. Using home canned broth and home canned tomato juice, I added 'sweet' veggies; carrots, half a head of cabbage, celery, leftover corn on the cob and leftover home canned wax beans. To that, just throw in a handful of barley, a few pinches of homegrown herbs and a teaspoon of salt. Done. Then it just needs to simmer all day for a wonderful dinner tonight. To round things out tonight, I'll have some fresh bread, hard cheese and homemade pickles. And if the kids are exceptionally well-behaved, a dessert of some sort.
In honor of my mentors, the Dervaes family, I've named it 007 soup...the soup that just won't die. It just keeps coming back. But don't tell Jeff....he thinks it's because there's a Bond girl at the bottom of his bowl. I won't tell if you won't.
1 comment:
The meals made with bits and pieces are so often the best. Very yummy sounding, it makes me hungry and I only finished breakfast an hour ago! The entire supper would be so filling, simple, and delicious.
Post a Comment