Since the cold weather is really here and I hate to drag the kids out, we're eating a lot more out of our pantry. Good stuff too! In fact, Mara is eating pears and applesauce so fast, I'm afraid we'll run out before summer gets here. Oh well. At least she's eating.
As there's nothing else to do til spring gets here, I've been giving thought to buying seeds and planning a bigger, better garden with some raised beds and an expanded orchard. There are times that I think Jeff isn't entirely on board when it comes to homesteading; that he could live with it or without. For instance, he spent most of the day cracking walnuts Sunday and I got the impression he wasn't thrilled with the prospect. He cracked then I shelled and it was literally a day long process. With a 5 gallon bucket yet to go, we have over 2 quarts of black walnuts in the freezer, ready to be made into delicious cakes, cookies and snacks.
When I showed him a sales ad today and he saw that the *sale* price for walnuts is about 6$ a pint and that we essentially gleaned 25.00 dollars of free nuts, he may have started to see things differently. Same thing with all the other produce I've socked away. At this point the only things we *have* to buy are dairy products and dry goods like flour, beans, rice, etc. In a pinch, we could buckle down and eat very healthfully out of what I've preserved over the course of the summer. For me that's security and freedom. As for Jeff, I think his approach is a little different. He doesn't get excited over a full larder....but a dwindling food bill, now that's something he can really get behind!
No comments:
Post a Comment