Sharon Astyk's post this morning on predictions for 2009 have me more eager than ever to boost our emergency stores. Read for yourself at:
http://sharonastyk.com/2008/12/15/2009-predictions-its-hour-come-round-at-last/
When I started on this path nearly a year ago, it was because of the recalls on food; beef, tomatoes, peppers, etc. The more I read on the subjects and the further I explored, I realized how desperate things could be for our nation in the next few years. While part of me thinks "No, this could never happen", part of me is all too believing that it could. It's happened before, right? It may be naivete on my part, but when you have children dependent on you for their every need, your perspective changes a bit. So though my journey has morphed, my destination is the same; self-sufficiency. Both for health purposes and, now, for social security. (Not that kind of social security!)
So I'm planning on it being a crappy new year in 2009 in many ways. Financial being the number one. If at all possible, I'm going to up our emergency stores funds to 15 or 20 dollars a week and I'm going to give more thought to what we should stock up on in addition to food. What would people need and want if there was a total social collapse? Liquor. Food. DIY provisions such as nails, screws, needles and thread. Time to get organized and prepared.
I know some of you think this is the height of foolishness, and I want to assure you that I'm not stocking up on Uzis, MREs and space bags. Nothing like that. Just making sure we have on hand anything we need should this financial situation become any worse. And as my dear friend Nikki states; "If things get bad, we'll just 4-wheel to your house for green beans and toilet paper." Come on over. I've got green beans. I've got toilet paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment